Combining savory lamb with cumin, coriander, mint, garlic and tomatoes, this recipe combines the best of traditional North American and Middle Eastern lamb preparations.
- 1 lb (500 g) lamb leg, boned, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) plus 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and cubed
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 whole wheat pitas, warmed
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded lettuce
- 8 black olives, chopped
In medium bowl, add lamb strips. Mix with cumin, coriander, paprika and pepper.
In large non-stick skillet, heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil over medium high heat. Working in batches, sauté lamb strips 4 – 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside. Add 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil to pan and sauté onion for 3-4 minutes or until onion is cooked. Add garlic, tomatoes and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer. Add lamb back to pan.
Add mint and cilantro and toss with meat and vegetables. Divide mixture between four pitas. Garnish with lettuce and black olives.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 254 g.
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.