- 1 small albacore tuna loin, trimmed
- 2 cups (500 mL) red lentils, ground in a spice grinder then sifted
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) salt
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) black pepper, finely ground
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
In a bowl, combine lentils, salt and pepper.
Using a baking sheet, evenly spread out the lentil crust. Roll the tuna loin in the crust, ensuring there is no exposed meat.
Pre-heat a heavy bottom frying pan or a very hot grill/griddle to high heat. Sear the tuna loin on all sides for 20 seconds. Once all sides have been seared, place on a wire rack and cool in the fridge.
To serve, slice loin into 1 cm thick slices.
Beluga Lentil and Cherry Tomato Vinaigrette
- 1 cup (250 mL) beluga lentils, boiled in seasoned water until tender the drained
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) black pepper, ground
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated on a microplane
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) flat leaf parsley, finely minced
- 1 tsp ( 5 mL) grainy mustard
- Salt, to taste
In a small pot, combine half the cherry tomatoes, honey, sherry vinegar, and black pepper. Simmer until tomatoes are fully cooked.
Pass through a coarse sieve. In a mixing bowl, combine the tomato mixture with all the remaining ingredients. Season to taste.
To serve, slice tuna loin 1 cm thick and arrange on top of the lentil mixture.