Bottom Sirloin Tri-Tip is a flavourful, economical beef cut that has long been popular with Canadian restaurants and American consumers. For a taste of the wild west, marinate these boneless grilling steaks in this rye-based marinade. Serve with grilled vegetables and mashed potatoes.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Marinating: 8 hours
Cooking: 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) rye whiskey, brandy or apple juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) EACH soy sauce and canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) EACH chili powder, dried thyme and coarsely crushed black peppercorns
- 1-1/2 lb (750 g) Beef Tri-Tip Grilling Steaks, 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick (approx. 4 steaks)
Combine rye whiskey, soy sauce, oil, garlic, sugar, chili powder, thyme and peppercorns in sealable freezer bag. Add steaks to bag; seal tightly and refrigerate for 8 to 24 hours for maximum flavour.
Discard marinade. Grill, broil or sauté using medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium doneness (best cooked not past medium).
Makes 4 servings.
Per Serving: 281 Calories, 37 g protein, 13 g fat, 1 g carbohydrate
Good source of iron (24% DV) and excellent source of zinc (102% DV).
Recipe Courtesy of Canada Beef Inc. : www.beefinfo.org