Full of flavour and fibre!
- 2 ¼ (550 mL) cups 1% buttermilk
- 2 cups (500 mL) quick cooking oats
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 small apple, cored and diced or about 1 cup (250 mL)
- ½ cup (125 mL) ground golden flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp (25 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- dash of nutmeg
- canola oil for oiling griddle
In a bowl, combine buttermilk and oats. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat griddle or large frying pan over medium heat. Add eggs, butter, vanilla and diced apple to oat mixture.
In another bowl, combine ground flaxseed, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Stir. Add to oat mixture and stir until just moistened.
If batter seems too thick, add up to 1/4 cup (50 mL) more buttermilk.
Lightly oil griddle. Using a 1/3 cup (75 mL) measure, scoop batter onto griddle smoothing to a 4 inch (10 cm) circle.
Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface and begin to pop. Flip and cook other side 1 ½ to 2 minutes until lightly browned. Keep warm in oven until all pancakes are cooked.
Serving Size: 3 pancakes. Each serving contains 2 Tbsp (25 mL) of flax
Recipe Courtesy of the Flax Council of Canada