- 1¾ cups (425 mL) dry red lentils
- 2 cups (500 mL) vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1/6 cup (37 mL) onion, fine dice
- ½ Tbsp (7 mL) garlic, minced
- ¼ red pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3 mushrooms, grated
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper, ground
- ¼ tsp (1 mL)red chili flakes
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) cumin
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) coriander
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) smoked paprika
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) chives, chopped
- ½ tsp (1 mL) thyme, chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
Rinse lentils and drain excess water. In large saucepan, cover with stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 12-15 minutes, until tender.
Sauté onions with oil until onions are golden brown in colour. Add garlic and carrot, sautéeing for approximately five minutes. Add all remaining vegetables, salt, pepper and spices. Cook on medium heat until tender and most water has evaporated.
Stir chives, thyme, egg and half of the bread crumbs into cooled lentils. Season to taste. Add sautéed vegetables.
Using a scoop, form lentil patties. Coat with remaining bread crumbs to prevent sticking.
Place on tray, cover and refrigerate (or freeze) until required.
Recipe courtesy of Canadian Lentils.