- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry green lentils
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pot or pearl barley
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 4-6 roasted or sun-dried tomato halves, sliced or left whole
- 1 packed cup (250 mL) fresh spinach or Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled soft goat cheese
- 1/4-1/2 cup (60-125 mL) walnut halves or pieces, toasted
- freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup (60 mL) canola or olive oil
1/4 cup (60 mL) balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
1 tsp (5 mL) grainy mustard
1 tsp (5 mL) maple syrup or honey
In a pot of boiling water, cook the lentils, barley and garlic clove for 40-45 minutes, or until tender.
Drain well and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, combine the cooled lentils and barley, tomatoes and spinach. Shake up the dressing ingredients in a small jar or whisk in a bowl; pour overtop and toss to coat.
Divide among shallow bowls and crumble goat cheese evenly over each; top with toasted walnuts and a grinding of black pepper. Serve immediately.
Makes 3-4 servings.