- ½cup (125 mL) dry split red lentils, rinsed
- 1½ cup (375 mL) water
- ¾ cup (175 mL) quick-cooking oatmeal
- ¾ cup (175 mL) sugar
- ¾ cup (175 mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1¾ cup (425 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 3.9 oz (100 g) packaged instant chocolate pudding
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) almond extract
- 1 2/3 cups (400 mL) boiling water
In a small saucepan, combine lentils and water and heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils are falling apart, about 30 to 45 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
In a large bowl combine dry ingredients, mixing well.
In a medium bowl beat together eggs, oil, and almond extract. Stir in lentils.
Add lentil mixture to dry ingredients and mix well. Add boiling water and mix thoroughly.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before cutting.
- Per Serving (175g)
- Calories 299
- Protein 6g
- Carbohydrates 35.4g
- Fibre 3g
- Sugars 13.7g
- Fat 15.1g
- Cholesterol 16.6mg
- Potassium 161mg
- Sodium 270.8mg
- Vitamin A 2%
- Vitamin C 0%
- Calcium 7%
- Folate 9%
- Iron 39%
- Zinc 2%
Recipe courtesy of Canadian Lentils.